It is always a great day to be at Hawthorne
- Hawthorne Elementary School, located at 2940 Decatur Street on a large expanse of land on the city’s north side, has an enrollment of approximately 571 students.
- Our building is comprised of kindergarten through third grades. The building houses all of the District’s third grade students in the newly constructed wing (2012). Hawthorne houses additional classrooms for students with special needs. Our building is organized in self-contained classrooms which means that students have most of their academic classes with one teacher in a particular room.
- Our teachers are caring, experienced, and knowledgeable professionals who are committed to bringing your child a quality education. Hawthorne Elementary is a school that believes parents play a vital role in the education of a quality education.
- Our goal is for the Hawthorne students to respect themselves and others. We urge students to accept responsibility for their actions. We create a positive school environment by working together. Students pass through the halls in a safe manner and use appropriate language when talking. Students value their learning and work hard to achieve goals. Our students and staff work as problem-solvers. Hawthorne students take pride in our school. In turn, we are proud of our students and their accomplishments.
- Hawthorne School has been awarded the 2005 No Child Left Behind National Blue Ribbon Award meeting criteria in two categories:
- Hawthorne student achievement was in the top 10 % of Iowa schools in reading and math scores on the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills
- At least 40 % of our students are from disadvantaged backgrounds and have shown significant improvement on state assessments.