We at Keokuk Community Schools want to insure that all students have a healthy and safe learning environment. With the recently elevated discussion regarding the Corona Virus (COVID-19) in the news, we want to take a moment to inform families of our preventive safety measures.
It is important to remember at this time there is a relatively small number of confirmed cases in our state. We are closely monitoring this situation and following the guidance issued by both the Iowa Department of Heath and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). We encourage all students, staff and families to be informed of these key preventive measures during cold and flu season. The CDC offers some tips on its website that can be useful in avoiding the spread of this and other illnesses.
In our buildings we are utilizing enhanced cleaning and are disinfecting hard surfaces more frequently and reinforcing proper handwashing techniques with all of our students. You can reinforce these efforts at home by following these guidelines from the Iowa Department of Public Health:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Keep students home when sick.
- Cover your mouth with your upper arm or tissue when coughing or sneezing.
- Disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
We will be continuously monitoring this situation and keep you updated if changes need to be made in our efforts to keep our students and community healthy.